Click here to edit subtitle

Becoming a Ham

An eligible person* interested in earning an Amateur Radio License needs to pass an exam administered by a qualified team of Volunteer Examiners (VE). 

CCAARC has VE Teams registered through both the W5YI VEC and Laurel VEC, and can arrange a test session nearly any day of the week upon request.

There are 3 classes of licenses, each with its own exam: the first license is Technician, second is General, and third is Extra. The tests are multiple choice questions randomly drawn from a large pool of questions that cover skills and information necessary to qualify for the privileges granted within each license.